Friday, April 27, 2012

A glance to Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin


Today I updated my Ubuntu to the new Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin", The most immediately noticeable will be the new log in screen and better colors in all UI environment.  Ubuntu 12.04 has cooler tool tips when Rhythmbox change songs or in the launcher bar, also has HUD the new search-based menu and is really cool, since it can interact with all your installed programs such as Firefox (Exploring Bookmark / History), Skype (Filter online, offline contacts) or sending email with Thunderbird just typing email. You save time avoiding access nested menus in huge option programs like Gimp.

See here for more info


Perhaps the most welcome change, though, is the vastly improved performance and power management. Ubuntu, for all of its finer points, has never been particularly battery friendly.

The bad thing I found about it is the launcher side bar, which is quite intrusive in my perspective, I normally use an extended display monitor and now in this Ubuntu version I have to bear this launcher in my extended monitor as well.

After give a glance in the advantages and disadvantages I had no doubt to install it and start to use it, hope this info was useful to you.

Enjoy it.

No comments: